How to Get Better Results by Targeting the Most Precise Audiences
Marketing is about people, but most marketers don’t reach people. Not because they don’t want to, but because it’s incredibly difficult. Businesses know their content reaches a particular IP address, device or cookie, they just don’t know the real person behind it.
What? Wasn’t the whole vision of digital, data-driven, tech-powered marketing about reaching the right people, at the right time, in the right places, with the right message? But, that vision has dissipated, The average person uses up to 4 devices. He or she may start research on a laptop in a coffee shop, switch to their mobile device while riding in car, and then make a purchase on their desktop at work. So, what’s happening?
Digital marketing today is characterized by a growing number of different devices, multiple platforms, channels, and data sources. Who can keep up?
With the rise of technologies like mobile, people’s time and attention have become more and more fragmented and this has made it difficult for marketers to determine when, where and how best to reach people. Today’s always-on consumers have never been more accessible, constantly moving between devices, and continuously emitting streams of live digital signals about their wants and needs.
Again, we may start a search on our desktop, compare email offers on our phone, seek advice through social media on our laptop and then trek to a store to make a purchase – all in the span of a few hours. But most advertisers aren’t able to recognize their customers and respond to these signals happening in real time, wherever they are across web and mobile, so the opportunity to engage them with relevant ads has been lost.
People-based advertising is a strategic discipline that focuses on connecting brands with actual individuals across devices and channels.
As opposed to targeting web cookies, which expire, can be deleted and don’t always work in the mobile environment, people-based advertising allows advertisers to recognize and respond to customers across all digital touch points, opening up endless opportunities to engage them in more meaningful ways. Doing so, however, requires access to the right data and identity strategies.
With people-based marketing, advertisers can deliver experiences that customers want, not marketing messages they want to ignore. Accomplishing this requires working with data and identity technologies that offer speed, persistence and ownership.
Sure, there are the Internet giants, such as Facebook, Twitter or Google, which are able to upload and match an advertiser’s data with their own massive lists of logged-in users in a matter of hours, delivering unrivaled scale, but none of them share user-level identity data or insights with their advertisers, making it impossible for advertisers to know who these individuals are.
Media buyers and marketers are adding people-based advertising to their budgets – fast. Here’s a look at how this trend is taking off:
- 92% of media buyers and their clients say they’re increasing their people-based media buying.
- Nearly half of media buyers say they plan to increase their people-based media buying quickly.
- People-based advertising makes up an average of 32% of advertisers’ digital ad spending.
- Advertisers say they’d be willing to pay a higher CPM for people-based advertising – some even say 100% more.
They’ve got a good reason to include people-based advertising in their strategy: It’s more effective than standard targeting alone. Advertisers have always known they needed to deliver relevant ads to get results. But today’s multi-device world hit them with a huge challenge: If you’re only identifying individuals by device-specific data, then how can you reach them across devices? People-based advertising is helping erase those problems.
Five ways it’ll boost your business and your brand when you add people-based targeting you’ll get:
- Stronger performance: According to an Econsultancy study, 83% of media buyers say people-based targeting is delivering better performance for their clients, compared to standard digital media .
- Higher return on investment: 63% of advertisers say they’re getting higher click-through rates with people-based advertising. And 60% say they’re seeing higher conversion rates.
- Reduced ad waste: Nearly 80% of consumers say they won’t engage with a marketing offer that’s not based on how they previously interacted with the brand. But people-based advertising cuts your ad waste, since you’ll know exactly who you’re targeting .
- Better cross-device engagement: The average person uses three different devices every day, and some use as many as seven. And more than 40% of people start browsing on one device and finish a transaction on another. People-based advertising gives you a way to engage customers with relevant ads across devices and channels.
- Improved customer relationship: Personalizing ads based on behavior and purchase history makes consumers see a brand 50% more favorably. It also leads to a 39% increase in purchase intent. With people-based advertising, you’ll reach people with relevant ads and make them more likely to buy.
People-based advertising is bringing new power to a wide range of campaigns. It’s helping advertisers gain new customers, upsell and cross-sell to their current customers, and win former customers back.